Mich Turner Banana and Pecan Muffins
Perfect for picnics, barbecues, summer parties and family get-togethers, legendary cake maker to the stars, Mich Turner MBE, has kindly given us an amazing banana & pecan muffin recipe for you to create at home and amaze your friends with your new baking prowess. Relatively low in fat, the flavour is all in the banana with texture in the pecans, sultanas and cranberries. They are wholesome, quick and nutritious.
Ingredients (Makes 12)
- 500g (1lb 2oz) ripe bananas (about 4 large bananas)
- 75g (2¾ oz) melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 egg, beaten
- 375g (13oz) plain flour
- 125g (4½ oz) golden caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 9 medjool dates, stoned and chopped
- 125g (4½ oz) chopped pecans
- 60g (2oz) golden sultanas or dried cranberries (optional)
- Muffin tin
- Muffin cases
- 2 bowls
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Place 12 tulip cases in a muffin tin.
Mash the bananas in a large bowl with the melted butter, vanilla bean paste, orange zest and beaten egg.
In a separate bowl stir together the flour, sugar and raising agents. Add the chopped dates, pecans and optional dried fruits to the flour and sugar and toss to coat. Tip the flour mixture into the banana mixture and stir until just combined.
Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cases. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.