Banner Birthday Cake
Let’s celebrate with this impressive banner birthday cake! Craft this topper using Decorator Preferred Fondant and the Wilton Alphabet/Number Cut-Outs Set.
- Christmas Red Icing Colour
- Red-Red Icing Colour (combine Christmas Red with Red-Red for red shown)
- Rose Icing Colour
- Orange Icing Colour
- Sky Blue Icing Colour
- Violet Icing Colour ((combine Rose with Violet for violet shown))
- Lemon Yellow Icing Colour
- Golden Yellow Icing Colour ((combine Lemon Yellow with Golden Yellow for yellow shown))
- 3 oz Decorator Preferred White Fondant
- Buttercream Icing
- Cake Batter
- Roll-N-Cut Mat
- 9 in. Fondant Roller ((pink guide rings used))
- Storage Board
- 5-Pc. Decorating Brush Set
- 40-Pc. Alphabet/Number Cut-Outs
- 13 in. Angled Spatula
- Red Coloured Lollipop Sticks
- Cupcake Pedestal ((optional))
- Flowerful Medley 6-Mix Assortment ((confetti used))
- Plastic ruler
- food-safe scissors
- Dental floss
- 6 x 3 in. Round Pan
- Cooling Grid
- Cake Circle
- 11 3/4 in. Lollipop Sticks
To make the Banner
Tint a 1 1/8 in. fondant ball each red, rose, orange, blue, violet and yellow. Use fondant roller with pink guide rings to roll out red, pink, orange, blue and violet fondant, separately, 1/16 in. thick. Use pattern, knife and fondant to cut one diamond shape in each colour. Place shapes under flap on storage board until ready to use.
Use scissors to cut a string of dental floss, 14 1/2 in. long. Starting in centre of string, fold diamond over dental floss to form a pennant shape. Use damp brush to attach pennant sides together. Repeat to attach five pennants.
For letters, use fondant roller with pink guide rings to roll out yellow fondant 1/16 in. thick. Use cut-outs from set to cut "TWO." Use damp brush to attach letters to banner.
For the Cake
It’s your choice how you wish to flavour your cake! Prepare the batter following your favourite recipe, bake and cool two 6 inch cakes. Prepare the buttercream icing following instructions. Prepare, fill and stack the cakes on a cake circle. Place the cake on a pedestal and use a spatula and icing to ice the cake fluffy.
Decorate the Cake
Attach the confetti sprinkles around the bottom too inches of the cake.
Use scissors to trim two 11 3/4 in. lollipop sticks to 10 in. Tie one end of banner to each lollipop stick. Slide red lollipop sticks over trimmed lollipop sticks. Insert lollipop sticks into cake at opposing angles so banner hangs correctly.