Dandelion Bobble Hat
Renowned international knitting brand, Debbie Bliss, has established a new design team Conway+Bliss. The dynamic collaboration between Teresa Conway and Nell Bliss, daughter of Debbie Bliss is aimed at encouraging and introducing new younger knitters to craft. This statement hat is knit flat and seamed, so it is perfect for a beginner who hasn’t learnt how to knit round yet.
- 100g ball of Debbie Bliss Roma in Steel 03 (A)
- 50g ball of Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino in each of Sunshine 82 and Candy Pink 06 for pompons.
- Pair each of 10mm (US 15) and 12mm (US 17) knitting needles.
- 11 sts and 12 rows to 10cm/4in square over unstretched rib patt using 12mm (US 17) needles.
- dec = decrease; cm = centimetres; cont = continue; k = knit; p = purl; rem = remaining; st(s) = stitch(es); tog = together.
With 12mm (US 17) needles and A, cast on 50 sts. Rib row [K1, p1] to end. This row forms rib and is repeated. Rib a further 9 rows.
Change to 10mm (US 15) needles. Rib a further 10 rows.
Change to 12mm (US 17) needles. Cont in rib until work measures 27cm/10 3/4in from cast on edge. Change to 10mm (US 15) needles. Shape top 1st dec row K1, [k2tog] to last st, k1. 26 sts. 2nd dec row P1, [p2tog] to last st, p1. 14 sts.
Cut yarn leaving a long end for sewing up, thread through rem sts, pull up and secure.
Taking a half st at each edge, join seam with mattress stitch for 18cm/7in, reverse the seam for the next 8cm/3 1/4in for first turn back, then reverse the seam again for the last 4cm/1 1/2in for second turn over.
Make a 9cm/3 1/2in pompon in each shade of baby cashmerino, then sew in place to hat.